IN THIS POST
Creating digital menu boards does not have to be difficult. In fact, you don’t even need a designer to help you with it.
A lot of restaurant owners plan on using them but are often lost in the conundrum of the costs associated with it.
That’s because they miss out on exploring options that can make their lives easier.
One powerful tool that can be utilized for this purpose is Google Slides.
Google Slides is a part of Google Workspace. It’s web-based and offers a user-friendly interface along with a comprehensive set of features.
It’s an ideal choice for crafting digital menu boards, owing to its versatility and easy to use nature.
Follow these simple steps to get started with using Google Slides to create them:
1. Sign into Google: Sign into your account or create a new Google Account if you don’t have one.
2. Access Google Slides: Once you’re signed in, go to Google Slides to access the application.
3. Create a Template: Start creating the menu template of your choice slide by slide. You get a lot of formation options to work with.
4. Experiment and Finalize: Experiment with different fonts, colors, and visual elements to make your menu visually enticing.
5. Save and Publish: Once you’re satisfied with how your menu board looks, save your presentation and publish it to make it accessible to your audience.
You can open that presentation on the browser of any TV to start using it as a digital menu board.
Sounds pretty simple and straightforward, right?
But there are some limitations as well Google Slides has that we feel you should know:
1. Internet Dependence: Google Slides, being web-based, will need an internet connection to access and update your menu boards.
In case of internet outages or unreliable connections, your menu boards may not display or update in real-time.
This can potentially cause inconvenience and inconsistency for your customers.
2. Lack of Offline Access: Although Google Slides allows you to enable offline access, not everyone will know where to turn it on.
This could cause them a problem when the internet goes off suddenly.
But the offline access will not work on all the browsers like Apple’s Safari.
3. Design Constraints: While Google Slides offers a variety of design tools and editing options, it may not offer you the same level of design flexibility you need to create amazing digital menu boards.
This comes to light when you have specific design requirements or need highly customized menu boards.
4. Potential for Formatting Issues: You may face difficulties in creating a sharp and finished look for your menu boards with limited access to the right formatting options.
It could also get more time-consuming which can be quite inconvenient when you are looking to get things going.
Fonts, alignments, and image placements may not appear exactly as intended, requiring additional adjustments and modifications.
5. No Customer Support: Primarily, Google Slides offers community-based support through forums and documentation only.
There is no assigned customer support team for Google Slides that you could reach out via call or messages.
If you encounter complex issues by any chance and require dedicated customer support, the level of assistance may be limited.
So, where do we go from here?
Investing in a good menu board solution can be a perfect alternative.
We know what you are thinking!
A digital menu board solution is expensive and difficult to use.
Well, that’s where you are wrong!
With DotSignage, you only require two things to get started with them.
An Android TV or a Smart TV with an Amazon Firestick.
The system is designed in keeping with end customers. So, it’s easy to understand and use.
And it’s not that expensive.
In fact, it costs less than 5 cents a day! Check out our pricing
But how is it better than Google Slides for digital menu boards?
1. A specific app to design menu boards
We offer an in-built menu board template editor app that you can use to create your own menu templates.
Anything right from the font size, color, image size, placement, background colors can be customized as you need.
It is very easy to work with and has 1000+ stock images that you can use to create beautiful looking menu board templates.
You can also add your food images to the menu template.
2. 500+ in-built menu board templates
We offer 500+ modern and market driven menu board templates that have been categorized to make searches quicker.
We keep adding more templates every month.
All the templates are unique and support both landscape and portrait resolutions.
3. Advanced Capabilities and apps:
You get access to features that can make your task of managing digital menu boards much easier.
a) You can schedule your menu time wise or day wise
b) You can display weather feeds on alongside menu boards with Weather app
c) You can also use news apps as tickers to create more engagement
d) You can display RSS feeds as well
e) All the content uploaded is stored in the media library for future use
4. Offline Displays: Unlike Google Sheets, you will need internet connection with DotSignage only when you are pushing any kind of update to your digital menu boards.
We download content locally on the device and so, if the internet goes off, your content keeps playing offline.
In fact, you don’t even need the Wi-Fi or internet to be on always. It’s only required in case of any updates.
5. Customer Support: DotSignage offers dedicated customer support, providing quicker and prompt assistance as well as troubleshooting whenever needed.
Google Slides offers community-based support, which is great but sometimes, you have restaurant specific menu queries, which require personalized assistance and prompt resolutions.
With DotSignage, you can have peace of mind knowing that expert assistance is just a call or message away.
The choice is completely yours. We are definitely not advising you not to go with Google Slides.
If you wish to have a simple menu that does not require complex formatting, Google Slides can work for you.
A digital menu board or a signage software solution offers you much more flexibility, design capabilities and better support.
DotSignage costs as low as $12 per screen monthly or $10 per screen if paid annually.
You can also sign up for our 7-day free trial to understand how it works or schedule a quick demo with us.
Partner with DotSignage to become best in class
Digital Signage Service Provider
Dot Signage is a cloud-based digital signage software to display multimedia content across remotely placed screens.